Evenwood, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham, standing on an eminence, above the river Gaun-less, with a station on the Barnard Castle and Bishop Auckland branch of the N.E.R., 5 miles SW of Bishop Auckland, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bishop Auckland. Acreage, 5437; population of the township, 3882; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2720. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring collieries. A castle once stood here, and there are still traces of its moat. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is a building in the Early English style, erected in 1867. There areWesleyan, Congregational, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a cemetery of 3 acres, which was formed in 1870.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Evenwood from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: