Brandon and Byshottles, Durham
Brandon and Byshottles, a township in the ancient or civil parish of Brancepeth, Durham, comprising the colliery villages of Brandon, Littlebum, Browney, Sleetburn, and Waterhouses; there are several smaller hamlets and Old Brandon. There are stations of the N.E.R. at Brandon and Waterhouses, and post and money order offices at Brandon, Langley Moor, Sleetbnm, and Waterhouses, with telegraph office at Langley Moor. Acreage, 6683 ; population of township, 14,239, which is divided into three wards under the authority of a local board, which has assumed the duty of school attendance in preference to a school board. The east and centre wards together form the ecclesiastical parish of Brandon, with three fine churches, and a population of 11,349; value of the living, £350 with residence. The west ward forms the parish of Waterhouses, with a population of 2890; value, £200 with residence. There are several dissenting chapels, and a Roman Catholic school chapel. There are also three literary institutes, two mission halls, and several reading-rooms. Viscount Boyne of Brancepeth is lord of the manor. Brandon Hill has an altitude of 880 feet, and commands a view not only of the whole country, but also of portions of Yorkshire, Westmoreland, and Northumberland.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Brandon, with Byshottles from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: