Tarrant Keynston, Dorset
Tarrant Keynston, a parish in Dorsetshire, 2 miles NE of Spetisbury station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and 3 ESE of Blandford. It has a post office under Blandford; money order and telegraph office, Spetisbury. Acreage, 1348; population, 260. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £320 with residence. The church is good. In the village are the remains of an old cross.
|Poor Law union||Blandford (1835-)|
Dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1737. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The parish church of All Saints, rebuilt with the exception of the tower in 1853, is of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle of three bays, with octagonal piers, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: tow coats of arms, carved in stone, of the Highly family of Upton, were found under one of the pews: in the chancel is a brass memorial to a former rector: a memorial window was inserted in 1897 by D'arcy Todd esq. to the late Col. Todd and his wife: there are about 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tarrant Keyneston was in Blandford Registration District from 1837 to 1956 and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Tarrant-Keynston (All Saints) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.