Higher Eggerton, Dorset

Historical Description

Eggerton, Higher, a hamlet in Litton Cheney parish, Dorsetshire, 4 ½ miles ENE of Bridport. Eggerton Hill here, but partly within two other parishes, is crowned by a Roman camp of 47 ¼ acres, 1386 feet by 749 of oval outline; the area studded with tumuli and commanding a fine view, the N and E sides doubly ditched, the W side triply ditched; the two entrances on the NW and SE skilfully made by overlapping banks.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Dorsetshire
Diocese Salisbury

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.