Chettle, a parish in Dorsetshire, 6 ½ miles NE of Blandford station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. It has a post office under Blandford; money order and telegraph office, Tarrant Gunville. Acreage, 1126; population, 121. Chettle House was built by Vanbrugh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £135. The church is a flint structure of 1849, with the tower of a previous edifice.
|Poor Law union||Cranborne (1835-1836)|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne and Cranborne (1836-1894)|
|Poor Law union||Blandford (1894-)|
Dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1539. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary, a building of flint and stone, was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1850, in the Perpendicular style, at the sole expense of the late E. Castleman esq. and consists of chancel, nave, transepts and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: there are two stained windows: the church has sittings for 80 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Chettle was in Wimborne Registration District from 1837 to 1895, Blandford Registration District from 1895 to 1956, and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Chettle (St. Mary) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.