Wembury, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the coast, at the mouth of the river Yealm, 5 miles from Plympton station on the G.W.R. Acreage, 3134; population, 5 24. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. Wembury manor belonged formerly to Plympton priory, and belongs now to the Cory family. Langdon Court is the chief residence. The scenery of the coast is romantic and wild. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £280. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is a plain building of local stone in the Early English style, and contains memorials to the Calmady family.
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.