Tamerton Foliott, Devon
Tamerton Foliot, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 4 miles N by W of Plymouth station on the G.W.R., is supposed by Camden to be the Roman Tamara on Icknield Street, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Crown Hill. The parish comprises 4776 acres; population, 1118. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Maristow, the residence of the Lopes family, Warleigh, and Looseleigh are fine mansions, and there are numerous other excellent residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St Mary, is Perpendicular, with nave, N and S aisles, and a handsome embattled tower with six bells. The nave and S aisle were rebuilt in 1851, and the N aisle in 1895. There are an endowed school and a small Wesleyan chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.