Brixton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Yealm, 4 miles SSW of Plympton station on the G.W.R., 3 ½ E of Plymstock station on the S.W.R., and 5 ESE of Plymouth, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Yealmpton. Acreage of parish, 3126 of land and 98 of foreshore and water; population, 622. The manor was long held by a family of the name of Brithrichstone, from which Brixton is contracted. Remains of a mansion of the time of Henry VII. are at Harestone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £170 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is Decorated English, with a lofty tower, and was restored in 1893-94.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Brixton from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.