Bickington, a parish in Devonshire, on the Lemon rivulet, 3 1/2 miles NE of Ashburton, and 3 from Newton Abbot station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Newton-Abbot; money order and telegraph office, Ashburton. Acreage, 1403; population, 230. The surface abounds with large limestone rocks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £222. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is an old edifice, with square tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1884. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Bickington from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.