Winster, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, with a small town, in Derbyshire, 2 1/2 miles WSW of Darley Dale railway station, and 4 W by N of Matlock. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Matlock Bath. Acreage of township, 1123; population, 840. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Some curious ancient British relics were found in barrows in 1768. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £206 with residence. Patrons, the parishioners. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1842, and restored in 1883. It is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, S aisle, and low tower, and has an ancient font. There are Wesleyan, Reformed Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a public hall, and a hydropathic establishment.