Mickleover, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands near Ryknield Street, 3 miles SW of Derby, and 129 from London. It has a station on the G.N.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 2422 ; population, 1555. The Pastures, the Limes, the Manor House, the Lodge, and Mickleover House are the chief residences. The County Lunatic Asylum stands on an estate of about 100 acres, three-quarters of a mile SW of the village, was built in 1851 and extended in 1862 and 1895, has capacity for 560 patients, and is a splendid structure. A chapel was erected in 1869, and a water tower, with a capacity of about 20,000 gallons, in 1879. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £283 with residence. Patron, Lord Scarsdale. The church is Geometric Decorated English, and consists of nave, N and S aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: