Styal, a hamlet in Wilmslow parish, Cheshire, 1 ½ mile W of Handforth station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 ½ miles SSW of Stockport. It has a post office under Manchester; money order and telegraph office, Handforth. It has a large cotton factory, a chapel of ease, and Wesleyan and Unitarian chapels. Norcliffe Hall and Quarry Bank House are the chief residences.
Online maps of Styal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.