Doddington, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Cheshire. The township lies adjacent to Salop and Staffordshire, 3 miles S of Betley Road station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 SE by S of Nantwich. Post town, Nantwich; money order and telegraph office, Wybunbury. Acreage, 597; population, 60. The parish was constituted in 1840, and includes the townships of Bridgemere, Checkley-cum-Wrine-hill, and Hunsterson. Acreage, 4726; population, 571. The old manor-house was taken in 1643-44 by Lord Byron, and the present mansion, Doddington Hall, occupies the same site, and is a fine mansion situated in a well-wooded park. Some remains are near it of a castle built in 1364. The living is a' vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £202. Th& church was erected in 1837. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Bridgemere, and a Primitive Methodist chapel in Cbeckley-cum-Wrinehill township.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.