Bebingion or Bebbington, two townships and a parish in Cheshire. The townships are styled Higher and Lower; they lie on the river Mersey, 2 ½ and 3 ½ miles S by E of Birkenhead, and have a station of the name of Bebington on the Birkenhead railway, and post offices under Birkenhead, and are practically suburbs of Birkenhead. New Ferry ½ a hamlet in Lower Bebington township, and Rock Ferry, partly in the township of Higher Bebington and partly in that of Tranmere, contain numerous villa residences. Acreage of Higher Bebington, 944; population, 4372. Acreage of Lower Bebington, 1054; population, 5216. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of Higher Bebington, 2500; of Lower Bebington, 2519. The parish includes also the townships of Tranmere, Storeton, and Poulton-cum-Spital. Excellent building stone of the New Red Sandstone is obtained from Storeton quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £329 with residence. The parish church of St Andrew is very ancient, partly Norman with Saxon remains, and partly Decorated. It was enlarged in 1841, and a lych-gate was erected in 1893. The vicarage of Christchurch, Higher Bebington, is a separate benefice; value, £180 with residence. The church was built in 1859. New Ferry, Rock Ferry, and the three vicarages of Tranmere are separate benefices. There is a chapel for Primitive Methodists at Lower Bebington and for Congregationalists at Rock Ferry., See NEW FERRY, ROCK FERKY, and TRAN-MERK.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bebington St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bebbington from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.