Appleton or Hull and Appleton, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire, stretching from 1/2 to 4 1/4 miles S and SW of Warrington, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Stockton Heath. Acreage, 3422; population, 2759. Stockton Heath, with Wilderspool, was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1838. The remainder of the township was made a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1887, under the name of Appleton Thorne. Population, 375. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; value, c6290. It contains the hamlets of Appleton Thorne, Appleton Cross, Hill Cliff, Stockton Heath, and Wilderspool. Appleton Hall is a chief residence. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.