Snailwell, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2 ½ miles N of Newmarket station on the G.E.R. There is a post office under Newmarket; money order and telegraph office,Exning. Acreage, 2034; population, 181. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Tharp family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £342 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a round western tower of Norman work. It has a fine reredos and some good stained windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Snailwell St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newmarket|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Snailwell from the following:
Online maps of Snailwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.