Wingrave, a parish, with Wingrave village and Rowsham hamlet, in Bucks, 2 miles NNW of Marston Gate station on the Aylesbury and Cheddington branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 5 ½ NE of Aylesbury. It has a post and money order office under Aylesbury; telegraph office, Wing. Acreage, 2883; population of the civil parish, 927; of the ecclesiastical, 926. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Rothschild family. The manor house is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £125 with residence. Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church, which was restored at a cost of about £4600 in 1887, is an edifice of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The parish register dates from the year 1550.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, aisles and an embattled western tower (rebuilt in 1898) containing a clock and 6 bells, rehung in 1898, with a new tenor: a small vaulted chamber of the late 12th century remains on the north side of the chancel: the church, with the exception of the tower, was restored in 1887, when the whole of the roofs were renewed on the ancient lines, an organ transept and vestries built, chancel screen erected and the interior refitted with choir stalls and other fittings of oak: the stained east window was the gift of Miss Butt, niece of the Rev. John Molesworth Butt M.A. vicar 1850-85: the flooring throughout was relaid, the old inscribed stones being preserved: in 1901 a new font was provided in place of the ancient font, which, however, was preserved, and in 1907 was brought back in place of the font provided in 1901: in 1938 a carved eagle lectern was presented by J. Major-Lucas esq. and the Misses Major-Lucas in memory of their parents: on the south wall of the church is a brass tablet bearing the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 412 sittings. The churchyard wall was raised three feet all round in 1898.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &c
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online