Appleford, a township in Sutton-Courtney parish, Berks, on the river Thames, 3 miles from Didcot station on the G.W.R., and 3 ½ SE of Abingdon, which is the post town; telegraph office, Culham (R.S.) Acreage, 862; population, 301. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Sutton-Courtney, in the diocese of Oxford. the church is a structure of stone, in the Early English style.
The register dates from the year 1563.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul, completely restored and, enlarged in 1885-6, under the direction of Mr. Gilbert Scott and the late Mr. Ewan Christian, architects, at a cost of £3,300, defrayed (with the exception of £300, given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners) by Walter Justice esq. of London, is now an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower with a quadrangular broach spire, 76 feet in height, relieved by spire lights and containing 6 bells, presented by W. Justice esq.: the work included the almost entire rebuilding of the fabric, the nave being lengthened 51 feet, a tower and spire added and the interior refitted: the font was retained: in the nave is a marble tablet inscribed to Chas. Prebble esq. surgeon, d. 25 Oct. 1840: a stained window was at the same time placed at the east end and a reredos erected: the chancel was restored at the expense of the Ecclesiastical Commlssioners, and has at the east end a number of mural monuments to the Justice family of Appleford, 1759-1848: there are 120 sittings. The churchyard, which is well kept and surrounded by a stone wall, contains two large railed-in tombs of the Justice family, with numerous inscriptions.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.