Milton Bryant, Bedfordshire
Milton Bryant, a village and a parish in Beds. The village stands 2 ½ miles SE of Woburn, and 4 ¼ SE of Woburn Sands station on the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the L. & N.W.R., and has a post office under Woburn; money order and telegraph office, Woburn. The parish comprises 1552 acres; population, 226. Two manors belonged at Domesday to Hugh de Beauchamp and the Bishop of Bayeux, went to Sir Francis Bryan and Woburn Abbey, and passed to Sir Hugh Inglis, Bart. The manor house is the seat of the Synnots. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £225 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, a small building originally Norman but much modernized, consists of chancel, nave, transept, and a central embattled tower; it has a painted window, and contains a monument by Chantrey to Sir H. Inglis. There is a charity estate worth about £70 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Milton-Bryant St. Peter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1559.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Milton Bryan: Baptisms 1559-2000, Marriages 1559-1983, Burials 1559-1998, Banns 1823-1999. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a small Norman edifice, much modernized, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, and an embattled tower on the north-west, containing 3 bells and a clock, the gift of Miss Louisa Mary Inglis, who left by will, in 1854, the sum of £100 for the purpose of maintaining the same: there is a stained window, the gift of Lady Inglis: a monument, with life-sized effigy by Chantrey, to Sir Hugh Inglis bart. d. 11 Aug. 1820, and a memorial to Sir Robert Harry Inglis bart. P.C. formerly M.P. for the University of Oxford, d. 1855, when the title became extinct: a memorial window to Sir Joseph Paxton kt. a native of this parish, was presented in 1867 by Lady Paxton: the church affords 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Milton Bryan was in Woburn Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milton Bryant from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Online maps of Milton Bryant are available from a number of sites:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
Milton Bryan was in Woburn Poor Law Union from 1835-1899 when it transferred to Ampthill Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Ampthill Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Ampthill Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.