Bromham, a parish with a village in Bedfordshire, on the river Ouse, 2 miles SW of Oakley station on the M.R., and 3 WNW of Bedford. There is a post office under Bedford; money order and telegraph office, Bedford. Acreage, 1827 ; population of the civil parish, 319; of the ecclesiastical, with Oakley, 569. Bromham Hall is the seat of the Dynevor family. A bridge of 26 arches crosses the Ouse at the village. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Oakley, in the diocese of Ely; joint net yearly value, £270 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is very ancient but good, has a square tower, and contains monuments of the Dyves and the Trevors. There is a fine brass of 1435 date.
The parish register dates from the year 1570.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Bromham: Baptisms 1570-1966, Marriages 1570-1974, Burials 1570-1933, Banns 1765-1961. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
St. Owen (parish church)
The church of St. Owen, situated in Bromham Park, is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel with vestry on the north, nave, north aisle, north and south porches and a lofty embattled tower containing 6 fine-toned bells, rehung and two re-cast in 1902 at the cost of the Countess of Longford and members of the Wingfield family; some of the bells before they were recast in 1908 bore the motto of the Dyve family, who were the donors of both the bells and the communion plate: in the Dynevor chapel is an elaborate memorial window to the late Lord Dynevor; in the south wall of the chancel is a piscina, and on the opposite side an aumbry: on a slab in the chancel pavement is a fine palimpsest brass, the obverse of which displays the figure of a man in plate armour, with collar of SS. and two ladies, under a triple canopy: there are also two out of five shields of arms: the date of the brass is between 1430 and 1440, and it is usually assigned to Thomas Widville and his wives, Elizabeth and Alice: in 1535 this brass was converted into a memorial to Sir John Dyve, his mother, Elizabeth (Wilde), and his wife, Isabel (Hastings), and a foot inscription added, which is perhaps only the original plate turned over and re-engraved: there is also a monument to Thomas (Trevor), 1st Baron Trevor of that family, and Lord Chief lustice of the Common Pleas, d. 19 June, 1730: against the wall of the aisle is a monument of alabaster, with recumbent effigy, clad in armour, under a canopy supported by Ionic columns, and assigned to John Dyve esq. who married a Walcot, and on the monument is a shield impaling the two Coats: there are also other interesting monuments: over the south porch is a small library, and inserted in the wall outside the room is an incised slab, recording the foundation of the library by Thomas Lord Trevor, in 1740: against one of the piers of the nave is an ancient alms box: in 1868 the church was restored by the parishioners, the chancel re built, at the cost of the Hon. Miss Rice-Trevor, and a chapel erected over the Dynevor family vault by the late Lord Dynevor: in 1902 the roof and walls were repaired and new gates erected in the churchyard: in September, 1906, a fire occurred in the bell-chamber, which resulted in the tower storey being gutted, and part of the roof of the nave and a number of seats being destroyed; the church has, however, since been restored: in 1908 an organ chamber was erected, and a new organ provided.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Bromham was in Bedford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Bromham was in Bedford Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Bedford Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Bedford Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.